By Thomas N. Corns
A New spouse to Milton builds at the critically-acclaimed unique, bringing alive the various and debatable international of up to date Milton stories whereas reflecting the very most up-to-date advances in examine within the field.
- Comprises 36 strong readings of Milton's texts and the contexts during which they have been created, each one written by way of a number one scholar
- Retains 28 of the award-winning essays from the 1st variation, revised and up-to-date to mirror the latest research
- Contains a brand new part exploring Milton's international effect, in China, India, Japan, Korea, in Spanish conversing American and the Arab-speaking world
- Includes 8 thoroughly new full-length essays, every one of which engages heavily with Milton's poetic oeuvre, and a brand new chronology which units Milton's lifestyles and paintings within the context of his age
- Explores literary construction and cultural ideologies, problems with politics, gender and faith, person Milton texts, and responses to Milton over time
Read or Download A New Companion to Milton (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Word: it is a shortened model of the unique, hardcover paintings. References were got rid of. "This is the main finished and insightful learn in this subject in any language and the 1st written in English. as well as its scholarly worth, Professor Pan's ebook opens a window to a picturesque poetic global for Western readers who're attracted to chinese language poetry and portray.
"Starts off as a manifesto yet turns into richer and extra suggestive because it develops. "—The manhattan SunFor Wallace Stevens, "Poetry is the scholar's artwork. " Susan Howe—taking the poet-scholar-critics Charles Olson, H. D. , and William Carlos Williams (among others) as her guides—embodies that paintings in her 1985 My Emily Dickinson (winner of the prior to Columbus origin publication Award).
Shakespeare's performs were tailored or rewritten in a number of, frequently striking, methods because the 17th century. This groundbreaking anthology brings jointly twelve theatrical variations of Shakespeares paintings from all over the world and around the centuries. The performs includeThe Woman's Prize or the Tamer Tamed John FletcherThe historical past of King Lear Nahum TateKing Stephen: a fraction of a Tragedy John KeatsThe Public (El P(blico) Federico Garcia LorcaThe Resistible upward thrust of Arturo Ui Bertolt BrechtuMabatha Welcome MsomiMeasure for degree Charles MarowitzHamletmachine Heiner MüllerLears Daughters The Womens Theatre team & Elaine FeinsteinDesdemona: A Play a couple of Handkerchief Paula VogelThis Islands Mine Philip OsmentHarlem Duet Djanet SearsEach play is brought through a concise, informative advent with feedback for extra analyzing.
This publication offers an informative, serious and concise advent to the literature of the fourteenth and 15th centuries, contextualising the literature and introducing the pre-eminent authors of the period.
- Herta Müller: Politics and Aesthetics
- After the End of History: American Fiction in the 1990s
- Dialect Ballads
- The Critical Reception of Charles Dickens, 1833-1841 (Routledge Revivals)
- Studying English: A Guide for Literature Students
- South by Southwest: Katherine Anne Porter and the Burden of Texas History
Extra info for A New Companion to Milton (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A New Companion to Milton (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Thomas N. Corns